pin it

Friday, April 13, 2012

Talented Tuesday - Stuffbyemily

I would like you to meet Emily Garverick  and her Etsy shop:  Stuffbyemily.

 
If you love interesting jewelry, Then you will love the items at Stuffbyemily.

Emily is very generously offering my readers:  10% off purchases in her shop in July.  At Etsy check out remember to enter BLOGSHOPPER in the coupon area

Let's get to know Stuffbyemily and Emily :

What would you like us to know about you?
I’m Emily of stuffbyemily. It’s funny, I never could decide on a good name for my shop- stuffbyemily is the name I created when I joined Etsy a few years ago. I thought I was going to make shoes (ohh, what an undertaking that would have been). I’ve always really liked art, as the general, broad category of life that it is. People ask me what’s my craft, my media, my favorite kind of art. I wonder how many artists know how to answer this question? For me it’s anything I can get my hands on!
 
What prompted you to open an Etsy Shop?
I suppose I should tell you I’m a college student. I’m working on a double degree in business and art, which fits nicely into Etsy. At first, my idea was that I would start a shop as a clever way to get attention from potential employers for a summer job. So in the beginning, I had made a few assumptions. One was that I wouldn’t get a job offer before the shop was really even off the ground. The other was that I would get a sale every couple months. I was surprised when the orders started coming in. It was a really, really nice surprise. It feels good to get acknowledged for my work in such a simple but genuine way as getting a new customer.


How did you come up with your shop name?
I think I covered this. I don’t remember exactly what I was thinking, but it was probably pretty straightforward. My name is Emily and I wanted to sell stuff I made. And then stuffbyemily happened.

How would you describe your shop?
I like to think it makes people feel good to do business with me. I try to let my customers know how valued they are. My unofficial slogan is “Shine on,” and you see it around the shop here and there. Ear cuffs come in an origami box with a hand painted sun on the front.

What inspires you?
Everything! I was at the Seattle Art Museum today and they were holding a Gauguin and Polynesia exhibit. I kept thinking, “Can I incorporate the design of that carving into a piece of jewelry?” They had earrings carved into groups of human figures from the tooth of a whale. The city has a lot of amazing things to be seen. It also makes me more aware of natural beauty when I see it, since there isn’t as much nature around here. Everything is blooming all of a sudden, it’s impossible to not be inspired.

Which item in your shop is your favorite to make/find?
My shop is forever changing, and so are my preferences. Right now, I would have to say “Ear Cuff Medium - Hanging Double Spiral Hematite Wire with Bead.” It kind of looks like clouds. I also have some favorite cuffs that aren’t online yet because I can’t get a good picture, but that’s all the more reason to check back often!

If you were shipwrecked on a desert island, what are the 3 crafty must haves?
If we’re talking non-survival-related, I think acrylic paints, a paintbrush, and a carving tool would be worth having. I would try to carve and paint all the trees on the island. Years after I’m gone, people would discover the island and the cryptic painted trees- let’s say the paint holds up well- and it would be this big mysterious thing, like Easter Island.

Where else can we find you?
Here are my links:
twitter.com/#!/stuffbyemily
pinterest.com/stuffbyemily/

Thanks so much Emily .  It has been great getting to know you and discovering your shop and your lovely items.

Now please show Emily some support and let us know which of her pieces are your favorite from her shop! Oh...and go ahead and heart a few of her items along with her shop :)

Have a great weekend!





knitting yarns

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.....your comment will show up soon,,,