pin it

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Talented Tuesday - Handmade by Cheryl

I would like you to meet Cheryl Weaver and her Etsy shop:  cherylweaver .


If you love handcrafted, orginal drawings, card, candle mats and much more, Then you will love the items at cherylweaver

Let's get to know cherylweaver and Cheryl:

What would you like us to know about you?
I have been painting for over 30 years in a style that leans toward nice primitive.

I live in a rural area near Gettysburg, PA, and have two grown children. I got started in my crafting because I love to work with my hands, and it was a creative outlet that I couldn't always feed with through my full-time job of teaching. In the back of my head was also the need to make extra money to pay my kids' college bills. I didn't have that luxury so it was important to me that my kids didn't have debt upon graduation from college.
 
What prompted you to open an Etsy Shop?
I started my Etsy shop in 2007 when I stumbled upon the site and became fascinated with how easy it was to sell all over the US. I ran the shop for several months at a time two different times. I loved it, but when the full blown craft season came around with 18 shows a year, I just didn't have the energy to do both. Over the years we have been dropping shows since our kids are married, and we are now getting social security. There wasn't the need to work so much. So I opened my shop again and started listing my canvas candle mats. LO and BEHOLD, the Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Craft Magazine saw one of my handpainted canvas candle mats in my shop and asked to purchase the rights to put it in their magazine that I believe will come out in August. Needless to say, I was thrilled and said YES:) So, now I am trying to get my shop stocked as they will be posting my Etsy shop with my candle mat and the directions of how to make it.

How did you come up with your shop name?
My shop name is Cheryl Weaver because I wasn't too creative at the beginning when I set it up. When I reopened it this year, I added Handmade by Cheryl to the Cheryl Weaver since that is what I go by in my local shows.

How would you describe your shop?
My shop is a collection of mostly my handmade items. They include prints of my handpainted work since they are easy to ship. I have many of my handpainted canvas candle mats listed which are done in the same manner as the primitive floor-cloths. I have not seen anyone else ever do these, at least not yet. LOL.  Other items include upcycled things I have purchased second hand. I put prints of my work on the front of old fiction books. They make a nice decoration for a coffee table or to stand on a bookshelf. Other items include some peg hangers, little gift tags, original ink sketches on muslin, my own doodles for stitching and painting, and small items adorned with my artwork in any way I can.


What inspires you?
I find inspiration in everything around me. I find sayings in comments people make in jest. I live with two cats and two dogs along with my husband, so I am always thinking creating items for animal lovers. I get inspiration for ideas from looking at others work, but I draw the line between being inspired and copying. I feel a strong need that what I create is uniquely my style even if the idea was already out there.

Which item in your shop is your favorite to make/find?
Candle mats will always be my favorite item to make because there is no end to the creativity I can have with them.
If you were shipwrecked on a desert island, what are the 3 crafty must haves?
If I were stuck on an island with just a few things to keep me sane, I guess I would want to have brushes, paint, and a forever sharpened pencil. Of course, I would also be drawing in the sand with my finger. No tools needed for that.

Where else can we find you?
In addition to my Etsy store, you can also follow me on facebook. www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Handmadebycheryl/109874101027
I always enjoy having new followers.
Is there anything else you would like to share?
If you are in the area of Gettysburg, you can find me at the National Apple Harvest Festival on the first two weekends of October at the South Mountain Fairgrounds.

I love painting with friends so if you are near Gettysburg, contact me and maybe we can get a date scheduled to paint.
 
Thanks so much Cheryl.  It has been great getting to know you and discovering your shop and your lovely items.

Now please show Cheryl some support and let us know which of her pieces are your favorite from her shop! Oh...and go ahead and heart a few of her items along with her shop :)

Have a great weekend!







knitting yarns

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! I love the Nine Cats painting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the plate. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting.....your comment will show up soon,,,